So, last week I pulled out two UFOs and got them finished up. The first project was cut out last May and I'm not sure why I never stitched it up, because I was really looking forward to having the top to wear. I suspect that I didn't have black thread on the serger at the time, so I went to another project that used whatever color was on the serger and then the weather warmed up too much for a long-sleeved shirt. Hmm. Anyway, this is another Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt as a knit top. The fabric is a wonderful black and white print rayon/lycra knit from EmmaOneSock. I love this pattern and I love this top!
Next, I moved on to a jacket that has been in the works for at least a year and a half, if not more. The background--About 18 years ago, I made myself a jacket out of OOP Vogue 2461, a Vogue American Designer pattern by Calvin Klein (copyright of 1990). I used a beautiful dark green tone-on-tone printed poly raincoat fabric and lined it with an acetate/rayon blend faille. That jacket turned out to be a workhorse for me--it was light enough to wear through both spring and autumn, but had enough heft to be warm enough for much of the winter season except for the coldest of days, even here in Montana. Sadly, several years ago it was to the point of showing so much wear--the folds of the sleeve pleats and edges of the cuffs were wearing through--that I knew I needed to replace it. Basically, I wanted the same coat again. Luckily, my Mom still had the original pattern that I used, so I
stole borrowed the pattern from her one time while over visiting. Then it sat for a year while I tried to find the perfect fabric.
Eventually, I found a lovely black crinkled texture poly from Marcy Tilton that I just loved, and it even was on sale! Then I puzzled over what to use as a lining. I really liked the rayon/acetate faille I had used previously, but that fabric has become extremely difficult to locate anymore. I finally found some, in black even, I think on the Fashion Fabrics Club website (but I'm not positive about that). I proceeded to cut everything out (well almost everything--I had to order another piece of the crinkle poly from Marcy Tilton in order to have enough for the hood, so that created some delay) and started to sew it up. Then, I got to the point of needing to set the grommets for the drawstrings and I froze. Now, I have set grommets before and had no problems, but the process always has the potential of going badly. I was so worried about having the grommets not set properly and ruining my project, that I folded everything up and put it in the closet. Fast forward to at least 18 months later, when autumn is quickly turning to winter, and I realize I just have to bite the bullet because I need a coat to wear. So I finished it. The grommets are not the best looking, but they are sturdily attached and the drawcord stops pretty much cover any ugliness in their application. The coat feels like it is going to be very warm, even warmer than my old green one. I am very happy. Here's a photo of the pattern cover:
Yes, it is very early 1990's styling, with the dropped shoulder and sleeves, but I actually like this in a coat, because it is easy to wear over bulky sweaters or work jackets. And I love the upper and lower cargo pockets with the flaps!
Here's the finished product, front and back:
Oh, yes, I also lengthened the pattern by 8 inches because I like coverage over my upper legs when the cold is biting. Here's a closer look at the upper body:
And the oversized 1990's sleeve:
And, finally, a detail of the sleeve cuff. This pattern has an interesting sleeve placket design which results in a kind of flange behind the placket that encloses the opening to keep out snow and rain. It works nicely.
I'm very happy to finally have this project done and I know I am going to enjoy wearing this jacket.
My sewing mojo has been really revved up lately, so I have several new garments completed that I am excited to blog about. New entries coming shortly, I hope!