Sunday, June 29, 2014

It's Been Awhile

Wow.  It's been a long first part of the year.  I haven't sewn a thing for months except for a bit of mending.  Somewhere around the first of the year, my Sewing Mojo packed up its bags and left me.  I didn't hear a word from it for most of winter and spring.  Not even a postcard.  It did, however, leave behind its sibling to care for me and mend my wounds.  The Fabric Acquisition Mojo.  It has been a steady companion for the last six months.  The only times I've been near the sewing studio have been to throw fabric into it.

But then, I haven't been feeling well for awhile either.  So I've had no energy or interest in doing much of anything lately.

And then my Mom died.  Two weeks ago.  Saturday, June 14, 2014.  The most fabulous, talented, beautiful, supportive person I've ever known.  There isn't a person she's met that doesn't say she had an important impact on them.  I know I was--and will continue to be--extremely fortunate to have had this woman for my mother and my friend.  She showed me nearly every day how to be a better human being.  I can only thank her by going forward and being that better human being.

If you have continued reading this far, I should at least give you some sewing content as a thank you. This was about the last project I finished before the Mojo took a hike this winter.  I was testing this Katherine Tilton pattern as a possibility for a bigger project I have in mind.  In the end, I decided the pattern won't work for the project, but I am happy with the jacket I got.






I used a cotton fabric I've had on the shelves for a few years.  Black with red and white striping.  I took several inches of width out of the pattern through the body and cut the bottom panels opposite to the body to play with the stripes.  I may well make this pattern again--it's a nice little jacket and an easy sew.  But next time I would completely face the bottom panel, rather than just a small hem.  I think it would give a nicer weight and finish to the bottom of the jacket.


I like the red buttons.  They seem happy.




Now I need to get back to the living part of life, rather than just existing, as I have been.  I've been feeling better lately and have more energy.  The Sewing Mojo and I have been negotiating a return to the studio.  The acquired fabric piles have been washed, ironed and folded neatly.  Ready for any whim that may come.

I have decided to start back in the studio by sewing a summer six-PAC per the Stitcher's Guild sew-a-long that is the brainchild of Elizabeth.  I have chosen an assortment of fabrics in a neutral/natural color theme, because I need the basics.  Shown below, from the top moving clockwise, is a feather print rayon  batik from Fabric.com (for a top), a natural 100% linen from JoAnns (skirt or pants), an ivory with light brown specks rayon knit from JoAnns (top), a textured ivory/taupe tweedy linen from (probably) Fabric.com (lightweight jacket), a printed tone-on-tone woven from Marcy Tilton of some blend that I can't recall (some sort of shirt), and an RPL woven from EmmaOneSock (pants).  In the middle is a lovely print rayon/lycra knit from Marcy Tilton for another top.  I will be using mostly all patterns I have used before, so the reporting on the sewing may be less than interesting.  But I am looking forward to the project.




I am sure, however, that after all this light neutral sewing I will be needing some color in my world.  These below were an early birthday present from My Guy.


So, I'm thinking something red!



7 comments:

  1. Ah, Marcy, I've missed you! And I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Your Tilton jacket is wonderful and happy looking...here's to more fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are back! I've missed you! I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. The 6-PAC project will be good therapy. Pease post your results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how illness, stress and loss can cripple one's creative spirit. Your jacket is lovely and the new project will certainly be an opportunity to get back on the horse, so to speak. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while. Sometimes one needs to take more time, take things slowly and wait for the moment to become realistic. I lost my dear Son, my Father in law and my Mother in a two year period as well as dealing with serious health issues. 2 1/2 years later I think I am back. I try very hard to keep my thoughts positive. Sometimes it is easier than others. My best wishes to you. Sew on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your mom. It's really hard to lose a parent. But glad you're starting to feel the sewing mojo come back. Your jacket is wonderful! Can't wait to see what that lovely pile of fabrics becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Losing a parent is like nothing else - you've never known life without them. Best wishes to you. Be gentle to yourself!
    The jacket is great. I love the buttons. And the shoes! Incidentally, the quilt they're displayed on is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your site...love what you do. Sorry to hear about your mother. I lost mine last year, and incorporate bits of her wardrobe routinely in mine now, buttons, purses, linings, recycled lace, etc. You find peace in the strangest places. Sew forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. For a long time I checked your blog every day hoping to find a new sewing project and missing your great reviews. So glad you are back and know that you have many fans of your blog following along with you as you go through this hard time. Love your fashion taste, fabric choices and patterns. Best to you, Nan

    ReplyDelete