Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Vogue 8499 Marcy Tilton Skirt (Number 3)

I've had this piece of quilting cotton on my shelves for several years now.  It's a print of zebras done in black, white and brown.  I believe I found it at Equilter.com.   I just love the graphic quality of the print and it has that quirky factor that touches my funny bone.  I purchased 3 yards because I knew I wanted to make a garment out of it rather than getting just a small piece for the quilting stash.  (Yes, I have a quilting stash too.  Sigh.)  But I could never decide on the perfect pattern to use with it, so it has been sitting there a long time.  




Until about three weeks ago when it suddenly shouted at me that it wanted to be a Marcy Tilton skirt.  Specifically, Vogue 8499.




So I obeyed.



Oh. My. Gosh.  I love this skirt.  It turned out just as I envisioned.  Just as the fabric told me it would look in this pattern.



This really is one of my favorite skirt patterns.  The bell shape is very flattering and very fun to wear.  The pockets enhance the interesting shape of the skirt and add a fun element.  It's difficult to see in this print, but I chose to use buttons at the top of the pockets, rather than the recommended zippers.




It may be a little out there, but I have a feeling that I will be wearing this skirt a lot.  The cotton fabric will be nice to wear in the summer months, but it also will be quite wearable in all but the coldest times of the rest of the year, worn with tights and boots.  




This skirt just makes me happy!  (And I love the zebra noses!)



ETA:  I have posted about two previous versions of this skirt HERE and HERE.




11 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beautiful skirt! Well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your post about this skirt! I've been thinking about using this pattern for a piece of linen in my stash!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo cute! Would love to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! You've reminded me that I've never made this skirt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh-this is absolutely darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you reminded me of this pattern once again! Love the zebras!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing at how many of us hear our fabric speaking. Even more amazing is that when we listen, incredibly beautiful pieces, such as this one, are the result. Keep listenijg to your fabric. It is a sure fire path to success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PERFECT print for this pattern! Which begs the question, why do I not have this pattern??? Must acquire it.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable with the zebras! I've wanted to make that skirt for eons. Good thing "avant garde" clothes rarely look dated. By the time I get around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spot on! (or maybe I should say, 'On stripe!' ) Great match up of quirky meets quirky. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This skirt makes ME so happy and it's not even mine. Wonderful job, and now I may need to pull out my copy.

    ReplyDelete